Solar eclipse in Europe – level 2
There will be a solar eclipse on March 20th. It will last for around two hours at 8:40 a.m. Universal Time, which is the time people use in Greenwich, London.
The moon will block out nearly 90% of the sun’s light in parts of Europe. Some parts of Europe heavily relies on solar power, so people could be out of electricity for a short while. However, nothing serious should happen because people planned for this event for months.
You may remember that there was a solar eclipse in 1999. After this one this year, there will be another one in 2026.
Difficult words: solar eclipse (when the moon blocks the sun), last (to exist), to rely heavily on something (to use and need to use something very much).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Are you looking forward to the eclipse? :-)
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.