Solar plane – level 3
A solar plane has made its first flight in Switzerland ahead of an attempt to fly around the world next year.
The revolutionary plane which can fly day and night without fuel is as light as a car and is the product of 12 years of research.
“This is the first aeroplane ever which has an unlimited endurance, can fly day and night, can fly a week, can fly months. And for this it uses the sun and only the sun in fact to propel the aeroplane. That’s the only source of energy, collecting everyday enough to fly through the day, enough to store it, to fly through the night and be able to continue the following day.”
Running on solar energy to power its 17,000 solar cells, if tests are successful, the plane is set to make it round the world in five consecutive days and nights in March 2015.
Are you a teacher? Download the exercises for your class here. They are for free. You can copy them and use them in your class.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.