Solar-powered cars in Chile – level 3
Twenty futuristic solar cars have been put on display in Chile, as participants from around the world prepared to race through the Atacama Desert.
The cars, shown off on Wednesday, are either completely solar-powered or hybrids that use both solar and human-power, which allows the racers to give an extra push by pedalling from inside the cockpit.
The sleek designs were on exhibit in downtown Santiago in front of Chile’s presidential palace, where drivers and passersby checked out the unique designs ahead of the competition.
Teams from around the world took to Chile ready to take part in the race with the hopes of being crowned 2014 champions and to test their designs against the challenging course.
The 20 teams will put their vehicles to the test during a five-day race that will cover 870 miles (1,400 km) through the unforgiving Atacama Desert, starting on November 13th.
Difficult words: futuristic (when something looks like it is from the future), solar (something that runs on light from the sun), sleek (good-looking and shiny), downtown (city centre), course (the route), unforgiving (not nice).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.