Soldier in the jungle – level 2
Three weeks ago, a soldier went missing in Colombia’s wilderness. He somehow separated from his group in an area known for heavy rebel activity.
The soldier spent most days walking around looking for food. He survived on plants, turtle meat and fruit. He went days without water. He said that his family inspired him to go on. He even made up his own rap songs to keep himself going.
After 23 days, his fellow soldiers were very happy when they found him. They gave him food and took him to hospital.
Difficult words: wilderness (an area with no people), separate (to get away from something), inspire (to help).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos