Soldier in the jungle – level 3
Finally found! Here’s the Colombian soldier who went missing for 23 days in the jungle. His fellow troops can be seen spoon-feeding this stray soldier after they found him alive and well after a jungle-wide search.
Yeffer Sanchez went missing three weeks ago in the wilderness of Colombia’s Central Meta Province. He said that somehow he became separated from his unit while on patrol in an area known for heavy rebel activity.
Weak and thin when he was discovered, he didn’t appear to have sustained any serious injuries. Speaking from the helicopter which was flying him to safety, Sanchez said he was grateful that his fellow comrades didn’t abandon the cause. The soldier said he spent most of his days walking around in search of a way out, and that he even resorted to making up his own rap songs to keep his spirits up. Surviving on plants, turtle meat and fruit, Sanchez said he went days without hydration.
And he was met with applause when he returned to his base. He’ll undergo a medical and psychological test before being reunited with his family, who he says were the inspiration behind his survival.
Difficult words: troops (soldiers), stray (lost), abandon the cause (to give up), hydration (water).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.