Soldier shoots people – level 2
An American soldier drove to two buildings and opened fire at a military base in Texas. He killed three people and injured at least sixteen. Military police stopped the soldier. He then shot himself in the head.
The soldier fought in Iraq and he was suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder.
The military base was also the site of another shooting in 2009. In that shooting, thirteen people died and thirty-two were injured. The latest shooting is the third one at a military base in the USA in around six months. President Obama called the shooting troubling.
Difficult words: open fire (begin to shoot), post-traumatic stress disorder (when a person is under a lot of stress because of something bad that happened), troubling (worrying).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you have a gun at home?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos