Soldiers leave Afghanistan – level 3
British and American forces were first deployed to Afghanistan in October 2001, in the so-called war on terror that has so far cost more than 2,200 US lives and almost 1 trillion dollars.
The US president, Joe Biden, has decided to miss the May deadline for a pull-out that was agreed with the Taliban last year, saying that it would be tough to meet, and he is set to announce that all American troops will leave Afghanistan by September 11. The new deadline will coincide with the 20th anniversary of the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon in the US in 2001.
The UK will reportedly follow in the footsteps of the US, also withdrawing nearly all its troops. Afghan officials have said that they respected the decision made by Washington; however, the speaker of the Afghan parliament warned that the withdrawal of foreign forces in the current circumstances would lead to civil war.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.