Spacecraft wakes up – level 1
Scientists send a spacecraft probe to space. This is in November, 2014.
The probe lands on a comet. The probe gets information. It gets power from sunlight. It runs out of power. It stops in a shadow. Now, it cannot get power. It stops sending information to the scientists.
Now, the comet flies closer to the sun. The shadow on the comet moves. The probe is in sunlight. It gets power again. It sends information to scientists again.
Difficult words: scientist (a person who studies a lot to learn about our world or space), probe (an electronic thing we use to get information from far away), comet (an icy rock that is flying in space).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about the spacecraft being on a comet?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos