Spain’s Catholic Church says sorry – level 1
Priests of Spain’s Catholic Church hurt many people. They force them to do sexual activities. Now, the Church says sorry to these people.
A study finds that 0.6% of more than 8,000 people say that they are hurt. If we count people like school teachers in Catholic schools, the number is 1.1%. It is a very high number. It means that more than one in 200 Spaniards is hurt. The Church is not sure that the number is correct. They say that it is less than that.
The Church has troubles in other countries like the United States and Ireland, too. In Spain, nearly 60% of people are Catholic. It is a big scandal in Spain.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What impact will the Church's apology have on the people affected by its actions?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.