Spain’s ugliest tomato – level 3
Dozens of farmers competed in the annual ’ugliest tomato’ award that people celebrated in northern Tudela, Spain.
Participants submit mainly tomatoes of the Marmande variety, also known as the Ugly Tomato of Tudela. The tomatoes come out ugly because bees germinate them. They take the pollen from one place to another; however, when the process doesn’t happen smoothly, tomatoes grow out in ugly shapes.
The contest happened on September 12 this year, and Marisol and Vincente Martinez won this year’s award. They said that they didn’t grow ugly tomatoes intentionally. Ugly tomatoes came out by chance and that led the couple to participate in the contest. The winning couple’s award was an Iberian ham.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.