Special balls on water – level 2
California is in its fourth year of a catastrophic drought, so it tries to save as much water as possible.
People released thousands of black balls into a water reservoir in Los Angeles. These balls cost 36 cents each and they float on the surface of water. They protect the water from heat, stop aquatic plants from growing, and keep birds away.
The balls work for 20 years and they will save 1.1 million cubic metres of water every year.
Difficult words: catastrophic (terrible), drought (when it rarely rains), reservoir (a lake used as a water supply), float (to stay on the surface of water).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this way to save water?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.