Sri Lanka Prison Troubles – level 1
Many people are in prisons in Sri Lanka. The coronavirus is starting to move fast there. Prisoners get angry. Problems start in a prison near the capital of Colombo.
The guards try to make prisoners calm. The situation gets very serious. Hundreds of police come to help. They kill eight prisoners. 50 people are hurt.
Prisoners are not happy with how officials solve the problem with the coronavirus. It is necessary to test more people. There is not enough room for sick prisoners. They need to stay away from healthy prisoners. It does not always happen.
Difficult words: prison (a place for people who do something bad), prisoner (a person who does something bad, and he must stay in a place with other people who do something bad), guard (a person who keeps a place or a people safe.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos