Sri Lanka Prison Troubles – level 3
According to officials, at least eight prisoners were killed and more than 50 injured in clashes with guards at the Sri Lankan Mahara prison, 16 kilometers north of the capital of Colombo.
A riot broke out during the night on Monday when authorities tried to quell a protest over rising coronavirus infections in the country’s crowded prisons. Inmates demanded more extensive coronavirus testing and new isolation facilities for infected prisoners.
Authorities sent out hundreds of additional police to help the guards and to strengthen security at the prison. According to the director of the hospital where most of the wounded prisoners were treated, most of the prisoners were in a critical condition.
Difficult words: riot (a violent public disorder), quell (to end something by the use of force), inmate (a person who is forced by law to stay in a prison or hospital).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos