Statue Looks Like Doctor – level 2
In Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, there is a famous statue of Christ. The statue is a symbol of the city, and on Easter Sunday evening it looked like a doctor. The idea was to show respect to Brazil’s health workers and to remind people to stay at home.
On the statue, there was projection of flags and messages of hope in different languages. There were also pictures of local medical workers who work hard to fight the coronavirus. During the show, there was a religious ceremony near the statue, and the city’s archbishop praised front line medical workers.
This was the second time during the coronavirus sickness when such a show happened. Last month, people could see flags of different countries that had cases of the coronavirus.
Difficult words: projection (when there are images on something, usually on a screen in cinema), archbishop (the head of a church), front line medical workers (people who are the first to make a contact with ill people).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.