Statue of David Bowie – level 3
Two years after David Bowie’s passing, people unveiled a statue of him and his alter egos in Aylesbury, the town where he debuted his alter ego Ziggy Stardust.
This is all thanks to David Stopps, an artist manager and Bowie fan, who campaigned to raise £100,000 over two years. He recollected the gathering of around 2,000 people a few days after Bowie died and how they had thought to put up a monument for the town and David Bowie.
There is also a petition in motion to change the town’s name from Aylesbury to ‘Aylesbowie’. Naturally, the fan behind the sculpture thinks that it is a great idea, adding that Aylesbury has in fact had 57 different names over the centuries, so a new one would just be the 58th.
Difficult words: passing (death), unveil (show a piece of art for the first time), alter ego (a person’s secondary or alternative personality), debut (perform in public for the first time), Ziggy Stardust (an alien character that David Bowie created), gathering (a meeting), petition (a formal request to change something).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.