Steel industry problems – level 1
Aperam is a Belgian-French company. It produces steel. The company has big problems now. Many companies have problems.
Aperam needs a lot of power. It needs electricity and gas. They are very expensive now. Aperam buys power. It spends the same money for one month as it spends in all last year. The company must switch off some machines. More than one thousand people can lose work.
Some experts worry about the situation in Europe. Expensive energy is very bad for companies which produce things. Companies may possibly close.
Asian companies can make cheaper steel. Sadly, they produce more emissions than European companies.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.