Stomach Full of Knives – level 3
When Surjeet Singh sought medical advice over a severe stomach ache, doctors thought he might have developed a tumour, but the real reason for his pain left them stunned.
“As soon as we placed the camera inside”, the surgeon said, “we saw some metallic material on our screen. In those metallic materials, there were shards of blades and wood which were very unusual. I’ve never seen anything like it in my 20 years of practice. We thought they were knives so we asked the patient, and he said he had this urge to swallow knives. He said he’d swallowed 28 of them.”
A team of five surgeons operated on Singh for five hours, and say they removed not 28 blades, but 40.
Singh says he developed the habit of swallowing knives while recuperating from a road accident. He’s now said to be in a stable condition, but we can only hope he’s found a safer way of keeping himself occupied while recovering in hospital.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.