Stonehenge Tunnel – level 1
Stonehenge is a very special place in southwest England. People build Stonehenge more than 5,000 years ago. They make a big stone circle in a field.
The stones are very big and heavy. Scientists do not know exactly how people build Stonehenge. A busy road goes very near Stonehenge. There are many cars. There are often traffic jams.
Officials make a project. They want to build a tunnel under Stonehenge. The British government approves the project. The tunnel will be about 3 kilometers long. It will be 50 meters farther than the road. It will cost $2 billion.
Some people do not agree with the tunnel. They are afraid that it will hurt Stonehenge.
Difficult words: traffic jam (a line of cars that stop or they move very slowly), project (a plan or work), approve (to agree with something officially).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos