Storm Iota – level 1
Hurricane Eta hits Central America three weeks ago. It kills almost 200 people. Another storm comes last week. It is Storm Iota.
Iota is the strongest storm in 2020. It brings strong winds. The winds reach 250 kmph. Big waves hit the coastline of the Caribbean islands. Large landslides are in Nicaragua.
Authorities must evacuate people on the island of San Andrés. They evacuate people from a hospital, too. Two people die and six people have an injury on the island. Many people are missing.
Scientists are afraid of Iota. Iota can bring floods and landslides in a big part of Central America.
Difficult words: landslide (when a piece of land moves because of heavy rain), evacuate (to take someone to a safe place), missing (when someone becomes lost and nobody knows where he is), flood (a lot of water all at one time).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.