Storm Iota – level 2
Storm Iota hit Central America and it caused serious damage. Iota was the most powerful storm of 2020, and scientists predicted that it would hit the same area that Hurricane Eta hit only a few weeks before.
Iota brought strong winds of 250 kmph and big waves damaged the coastline. It made big landfall in Nicaragua and it destroyed roads on the Caribbean island of San Andrés. On the island, many people had to leave their homes, and authorities evacuated patients from a hospital. Two people died, six people had injuries, and many people went missing.
Scientists worry that Iota will cause floods and landslides to large parts of Central America.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.