Stranded sailor rescued – level 3
A dramatic end to a turbulent couple of months, winched to the safety of a hovering helicopter from a ship that had become disabled. Rough weather caused the master break and cut off the communication gear and electronics. So for 66 days, the crew member on board had to cope by himself.
He had diverted the ship off the North Carolina coast to go fishing, and that’s when he faced problems. But it was his ability to fish that helped him survive the time before help arrived. Although there was some food on board, he had to eat raw fish he caught and the rain water that he collected.
The Coast Guard has said he is now doing fine after being checked over in hospital. He’s feeling well and his family is naturally overjoyed to see him safe and on dry land for now.
Difficult words: turbulent (having lots of problems), winch (to tie something), hover (to fly in one spot), disable (when something no longer works), divert (to go an unexpected direction).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.