Strike in France – level 2
The French government plans to cut 120,000 public-service jobs. People are unhappy about this, and they went on strike last week. Some people in Paris even fought the police.
Air traffic controllers protested too, so airlines had to cancel hundreds of flights. This is the country’s third strike since Macron became president. The French government and the unions are in discussion to come to an agreement.
Difficult words: strike (protesting by not going to work), union (a political group of people who have one type of job), agreement (a plan which is OK for both the government and the unions).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos