Sudan Ex-Leader – level 1
Omar al-Bashir is Sudan’s president earlier this year. People say that he does terrible crimes when he is president. In April, the military overthrows him. Now he is at court for several crimes.
Recently, a judge says that Bashir is guilty of corruption. Bashir can go to a reform facility. This is because he is 75 years old. In Sudan, people over 70 do not have to go to prison if their crimes are not very serious.
However, Bashir has to stay at a prison now. This is while he is at the court.
Difficult words: overthrow (to make a leader leave his job), corruption (when a leader does bad things to get money), reform facility (a nice prison).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos