Super typhoon in China – level 2
A typhoon in China strengthened to a super typhoon on Friday. It brought strong winds and heavy rains. The typhoon hit the island of Hainan the most.
It destroyed trees and disrupted traffic by its strong winds. Those winds were the strongest to hit Hainan in 40 years. Around 30,000 people evacuated from low-lying coastal areas. Airlines cancelled around 240 flights, and about 2,000 passengers waited at the airports.
Difficult words: strengthen (become stronger), disrupt (cause problems), coastal (area which is close to the sea).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What's your favourite type of weather?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos