Super typhoon in China – level 3
Super typhoon Rammasun has made its landfall in Wenchang City in south China’s island province of Hainan.
Rammasun had strengthened to a super typhoon by about 5 am on Friday, bringing strong gales and heavy rain, as it approached the areas.
Rainstorms have grown stronger in many cities and counties in Hainan since Thursday afternoon.
Trees were uprooted and traffic was disrupted by gale winds which have shaped up as the strongest to hit the province in 40 years.
Altogether, 241 flights at two airports have been cancelled, leaving about 2,000 passengers stranded.
China Central Television said access to all scenic spots on the island, which styles itself as China’s answer to Hawaii had been closed, and 30,000 people have been evacuated from low-lying coastal areas.
Difficult words: landfall (arrival), gale (very strong winds), county (part of a country), uproot (the trees were pulled out of the ground), disrupt (cause problems), shape (measure), strand (stuck), scenic (beautiful), China’s answer to Hawaii (Hainan is normally a beautiful island for people to visit).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.