Surfers and a whale – level 2
Some surfers from Australia saw a whale. A helicopter told them not to get too close, but they did anyway. People are supposed to stay at least 100 metres from a whale. Last year, a whale hospitalised a swimmer after their encounter.
At first, this whale swam peacefully beside the surf boards, but then it was stressed and it hit the water with its tail. This kind of whale weighs up to 80 tonnes and measures 16 metres.
Difficult words: encounter (meeting).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Are there any dangerous animals in your country?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos