Sword attack in Sweden – level 3
A man wielding a sword has killed one person and injured four more at a school in Sweden. Early reports say a teacher died in the attack at the Kronan School in Trollhattan, which is just north of Sweden’s second largest city, Gothenburg.
The local NAL hospital said the four people injured were students who are “young but not kids”. They were taken to hospital and some have serious injuries and are being operated on.
The suspect, who’s believed to have been wearing a mask, is in a serious condition after being shot by police. Authorities say they were initially called to reports of a masked man, armed with a sword, on the premises, and that one person had been attacked at or near the school cafeteria.
Difficult words: wield (to hold something in the air), authority (somebody in a position of power), initially (in the beginning), premises (a building and the area around it).
What do you think about the man?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos