Taiwan’s first female president – level 3
Tsai Ing-wen has emerged as Taiwan’s first female president.
The leader of the Democratic Progressive Party has a challenge ahead of her, as she struggles to balance the pressures of superpowers China and the USA as well as the desires of her own people. The pro-independence candidate says that Taiwan’s identity should not be repressed.
This 60-year-old voter said that if relations with China are not managed carefully, Taiwan could be led into disaster. This man agreed but said that recognition on the international stage was also very important for the country. He said he hopes the new government will help the nation’s people be treated with more dignity.
Difficult words: emerge (to come out), struggle (to try hard), desire (something that you want), independence (being independent – free from outside control), repress (to control), dignity (respect).
Do you like the new president of Taiwan?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos