Taliban takes over Afghanistan – level 2
20 years ago, terrorists attacked the World Trade Center in New York, US, and the US and UK started a war with the Taliban.
Recently, US soldiers started to leave Afghanistan, and the Taliban quickly took control of nearly all the country. The president ran away from the country, and only a few hours later, the Taliban took control of the presidential palace. Fighters took down the flag of Afghanistan which was in the palace.
Thousands of Afghans wanted to leave the country, which caused chaos at the international airport in Kabul. People ran on runways, and they tried to get on planes. Some people even jumped on the planes when they were taking off. Foreign diplomats left the country because it was not safe for them anymore.
Difficult words: the World Trade Center (two tall buildings in the US where many people worked), Taliban (a terrorist group in Afghanistan), chaos (a situation when people are confused and there is no organization or order), diplomat (a person who represents a country abroad).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.