Taliban takes over Afghanistan – level 3
The Taliban has seized control of the Afghan capital Kabul, and it has declared that Afghanistan is under its control.
The insurgents took control of nearly all of Afghanistan in just over a week, and gunmen took control of the presidential palace. They took down the flag of Afghanistan inside the palace just hours after the president Ashraf Ghani fled the country.
The Islamist militants encountered no resistance as they took back power two decades after the US overthrew them. Chaotic scenes erupted at Hamid Karzai International Airport as thousands of people flooded the tarmac, desperate to get a flight out of the country. Thousands more attempted to flee the country by road.
The US and UK sent military to secure Kabul’s airport and to help foreign nationals leave Afghanistan.
Difficult words: insurgent (a person fighting against a government), encounter (to experience something unexpectedly), tarmac (the area of an airport where aircraft park).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos