Tasmania’s Giant Lobsters – level 3
A former lobster hunter, Todd Walsh, is now a conservationist who is helping Tasmania’s giant lobsters. The crustacean is a freshwater animal that is threatened by habitat destruction and fishing. Experts believe that there are less than 100,000 remaining in the country.
Walsh now uses his skills in catching lobsters to be able to protect them. He says that there were lobsters that were up to 6 kilos, but they were decimated a long time ago. The current giant lobsters can be as big as a medium-sized dog and have claws strong enough to crush bones.
Difficult words: crustacean (a water animal that has a tough shell and a segmented body), decimate (kill off, destroy).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos