Teenage mothers in Venezuela – level 2
A girl under 18 becomes pregnant every three minutes in Venezuela. Twenty-three per cent of all births come in this age category, too.
Two charities think that this is a problem. They do not say that maternity is bad. They say that teenage girls already have a lot of problems. The girls look for an identity and they go through a series of changes. Being pregnant is a complication for them.
The charities set up an unusual display in a shop window. The mannequins look like 15-year-old pregnant school girls. The charities want people to think and talk about this problem.
Difficult words: maternity (being a mother), pregnant (with a baby inside the body), mannequin (a model used to display clothes in a shop window).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
When do you think women should have their first baby?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.