Teenagers and Instagram – level 2
Earlier this year, secret documents showed that Instagram and its parent company Meta knew that they could have bad impacts on teenage girls.
On Tuesday, Instagram said that it would have stronger rules about its content. If teenagers spent too much time on the same topic, the app would give other topics instead. The idea is to make the app safer and to stop some body image problems which young girls can have.
Many people change their photos before they put them on social media, and girls especially want to look more beautiful. Sadly, when some girls see other people’s pictures on Instagram, they feel bad, and they think that they are not as beautiful.
Instagram will introduce some tools next year which will help parents see how much time their children are on the app. It will also be possible to set a time limit.
Difficult words: parent (a large company that has smaller companies), content (everything that is inside or within something), body image problems (when a person thinks that his body does not look good and it makes him very upset).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.