Tennis Players Must Stay in Hotel Rooms – level 2
The two-week tennis tournament, the Australian Open, is starting on February 8, and the more than 1,200 people who take part in the tournament must keep strict rules.
These people are officials, players, and their teams who came on three planes, and later, some other passengers on the same flights had positive tests for COVID-19. Tournament organizers decided to isolate 72 players in hotel rooms, and all players need to go for a COVID-19 test every day. They can leave their rooms only for five hours to train and get medical care.
Some players got angry because they could not get enough training. Novak Djokovic is the world’s No. 1 star, and he asked organizers to get more time to train. He said that players could move into houses with tennis courts.
Difficult words: tournament (a sports competition in which players who win a match continue to play more matches until there is one winner), isolate (to not have any or little contact with other people), medical care (when a doctor or other specialist look after somebody’s health).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos