Texas abortion law – level 2
The US state of Texas has a new abortion law which is the strictest in the US.
The law stops abortions after about six weeks of pregnancy, which is the time when many women do not even know that they are pregnant. People could sue abortion clinics, and if they win, they could get more than 10,000 dollars, which could make someone report women, who want to have an abortion. This already happened when people took pictures of women before abortion clinics.
People protested in Texas after the law started. Some politicians were against the law because they believed that every woman could decide if she wanted to have a child or not. The US president Joe Biden said he agreed with that, and he said he would try to change the law.
Difficult words: abortion (a surgery that stops a baby in a pregnant woman), pregnancy (when a woman is pregnant), abortion clinic (a place where doctors legally end pregnancies).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos