Texas school shooting – level 3
A teenage gunman opened fire at an elementary school in Texas, US, killing 19 children and two adults.
The suspect was identified as 18-year-old Salvador Ramos, and according to police, he acted alone. Ramos armed himself with rifles that he purchased on his birthday, and before heading to the school, he shot his grandmother. However, the woman survived her wounds, and she called the police.
Meanwhile, Ramos fled the house, crashed his car near the school, and then entered through a back door. The shooter was a high school dropout and had no criminal record. He died at the scene, reportedly by police.
Children aged 7 to 11 were at the school, and the event was the deadliest school shooting in the US in the last decade. It was also the 27th school shooting in the country this year. The White House lowered its flag to honor the victims; the US president said that the government needed was to stand up to the gun lobby.
Difficult words: dropout (a student who leaves school before finishing it), honor (to show great respect for someone in public), lobby (an organized group of people who influence lawmakers on a particular issue).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.