Thai King is Dead – level 3
The Thai King Bhumibol Adulyadej, who was the longest reigning monarch, has died. People transferred his body to the palace in a procession through Bangkok, and thousands of people gathered to honour him.
Most of the Thais wept while others prayed for the king who ruled over Thailand for 70 years, most people having never known another monarch in their lifetime.
People took the king’s body to the Grand Palace where it will lie in the temple as people pay respects. The Crown Prince, the deceased king’s 64-year-old son, will conduct a bathing ceremony of the king’s body as a ritual. Official mourning will continue for a year and flags are to fly at half mast for the next 38 days.
Difficult words: reign (rule, be king), gather (come together in large numbers), weep (cry), deceased (dead).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos