Thai police find a camp – level 3
Thai police have discovered at least 30 graves believed to belong to migrants from Myanmar and Bangladesh at what authorities say is an abandoned trafficking camp in a remote jungle. In the south of Thailand, a total of at least 30 graves were found in what’s been described as a well-set-up smuggling camp.
According to police, four bodies have been exhumed, and the graves are the first discovery of their kind in the country. Two other bodies that had not been buried and left to rot in the open were also found. One survivor was rescued and taken to hospital.
The discovery highlights the brutal nature of the trafficking trade in which hundreds are believed to have died in camps or at sea.
Every year, thousands of Rohingya and Bangladeshi boat people arrive in Thailand brought in by smugglers. Many are taken by roads to camps in the jungle where traffickers demand a ransom to smuggle them south across the border to Malaysia.
Difficult words: abandoned (without people), traffic (trade in something illegal), smuggle (to move something illegally), exhume (to dig out), rot (when bacteria and small animals eat something), in the open (on the ground), highlight (to draw special attention to), ransom (a sum of money).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.