Thailand nursery shooting – level 3
In north-east Thailand, a mass shooting and stabbing occurred at a nursery on Thursday.
During the children’s naptime, a former policeman entered the preschool and opened fire. He killed at least 37 people, including 23 children, some of them as young as two years old. Local people rushed to donate blood at the nearby Nong Lamphu Hospital; meanwhile, the community remained in shock.
After the mass shooting, the gunman fled to his home where he killed his wife and child, and then he shot himself. The police fired the 34-year-old man in June for drug use; however, according to Thailand’s prime minister, the man’s motive was unknown. The headteacher said that the attacker’s son also attended the school, and the attacker was always polite and chatty.
More than 90 children were usually at the school, but just over 20 were present on Thursday due to bad weather and a school bus breakdown.
Difficult words: naptime (a short sleep during the day), chatty (talkative), motive (a reason to do something).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos