The body’s appendix – level 1
The appendix is in our belly. It looks like a small tube. It is next to the large intestine. The large intestine gets water from food. It moves the rest of food out of our bodies.
Scientists still don’t know why we have an appendix. Maybe it is an important organ for some animals. We evolve from such animals.
The appendix is still in our body. We don’t need it. We can live without it.
Some studies say that the appendix is important. Good bacteria is in it. They help digest food. They fight some illnesses.
The appendix can make people stronger. People without the appendix can have more serious illnesses.
Difficult words: evolve (to change into something else over a long period of time), bacterium (a very small living thing), digest (to change the form of food, so that the body can get what it needs from it).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos