The body’s appendix – level 2
The appendix is a small tube in our lower belly. It is on the right side, and it is attached to the large intestine. The large intestine gets water from food, and it moves the rest of food out of the body.
Scientists are not sure why we have the appendix. Most of them agree that it could an important organ for the animals, which humans evolved from. Most people can live without the body part, but studies show that it can be important for us.
One study says that the appendix makes our body stronger because it makes bacteria to help us eat food. People, who have no appendix can have more severe illnesses, for example diarrhea. Another study says that the appendix makes bacteria to help when we are ill.
Difficult words: evolve (to develop over a long period of time), bacterium (a very small living thing, which can be useful for the body, but it sometimes causes diseases), diarrhea (an illness in which too much liquid waste leaves the body).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
Can living without the appendix have negative effects on our overall health?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.