The Confederate flag in South Carolina – level 2
The Confederate battle flag is a very controversial banner in South Carolina, USA. For some, it is a symbol of their heritage and history. For others, it is simply a symbol of racism.
The flag has flown above the statehouse for 50 years, but it now people will remove it. Why? People started talking about the flag last month after a man killed nine black people at a church. The 21-year-old killer was waving that flag.
Difficult words: controversial (when something is controversial, many people talk about it), banner (flag), heritage (traditional beliefs, values and customs), statehouse (the building where people who make laws in a US state do their work).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.