The first Biden-Putin meeting – level 3
An 18th century Swiss villa overlooking Lake Geneva will play host to the first meeting between US president Joe Biden and Russian president Vladimir Putin.
The place which is looking quiet and calm will likely be a scene of tense adversarial talks, bitter arguments over election interference, cyber attacks, human rights, and fighting in Ukraine. The Swiss police and army have closed the two parks surrounding the area and installed barricades and barbed wire.
Neutral Switzerland did not join western sanctions against Russia after Moscow took Ukraine’s Crimea region in 2014, and Switzerland fought hard to be the place of the first Biden-Putin meeting.
Biden has recently departed on his first trip abroad since taking office. He will be attending a G7 meeting in the UK and then going to his meeting with Putin in Geneva.
The eight-day mission to Europe aims to rebuild transatlantic ties which were under pressure during the Trump era.
Difficult words: adversarial (in opposition), interference (the act of trying to influence a situation), sanction (an official punishment), seize (to take control of a place), transatlantic tie (a relationship across the ocean).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos