The Great Barrier Reef – level 3
The Great Barrier Reef is the network of 2,500 reefs covering 248,000 square kilometers off Australia´s northeast coast. It´s an awe-inspiring natural habitat that´s home to many of sea life, and it´s been World Heritage-listed since 1981.
However, the reef´s health is under increasing threat from climate change and rising ocean temperatures. A report said that there was no doubt that the network of colorful corals suffered significantly from bleaching that was caused by unusually warm ocean temperatures in 2016, 2017, and last year. The report came from the U.N. World Heritage Committee released last week. The report recommends that the ecosystem be added to UNESCO´s List of World Heritage in Danger.
Australia government officials have voiced anger at the report, saying that any downgrade of the reef´s status could reduce tourism revenue for the country because fewer people would be attracted to an unhealthy environment and dead coral. Besides that, it would likely include tougher action to reduce Australia´s greenhouse gas emissions.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about the Great Barrier Reef?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.