The history of the Michelin star – level 2
In the 1890s, brothers André and Édouard Michelin started a company which made tires. In 1900, they wanted to support their business, and they came up with an interesting idea.
The brothers wrote a book with information for drivers about where to get gas and where to eat. They thought that it would make people drive more, and then they would sell more tires. The idea worked but not as well as they expected. In 1926, Michelin started to give stars to the best restaurants.
Today, restaurants can get up to three stars, and inspectors rate five different things, including the quality of food, cooking techniques, and the chef’s personality. There are thousands of restaurants which have at least one Michelin star, and they are from more than 30 countries.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.