The history of the Michelin star – level 3
Michelin, the French company famous for putting tires on cars for the last 130 years, is the same company that names the world’s finest dining establishments. What is the connection between perfectly cooked filet mignon and rubber?
In 1900, brothers André and Édouard Michelin were looking to grow business for their tire company. The idea was simple with a book with on-the-road information including where to get gas and a list of places to eat. More places to visit equaled more cars on the road and more tires sold.
In 1926, Michelin started to give stars to restaurants to rate the best spots. They gave stars with a team of anonymous inspectors. Later, the company created a hierarchy, handing out up to three starts for the best restaurants. Today, a restaurant gets three stars for excellent cuisine that deserves a special journey.
Inspectors consider five parts: the quality of the food, the mastery of flavor and cooking techniques, the personality of the chef, the value for money, and the similarity between visits. Michelin guide rates thousands of restaurants in more than 30 regions across three continents.
Difficult words: filet mignon (a small, tender piece of beef), hierarchy (a system in which people or things are put at various levels or ranks according to their importance or quality), cuisine (a fine food).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.