The Last Children – level 2
South Korea’s Nokdo Island has only a few children, and the number of people who live on the island is going down quickly.
There are three children in one family and a school opened for them a few years ago. There was no teacher and she had to come from South Korea’s mainland.
South Korea became the world’s fastest aging society and in 2020, it had the lowest birth rate in the world. In the 1970s, many big factories opened in South Korea and women had to work there. Also, living in big cities became very expensive and families could not have many children. Many men and women decided not to have children or to have a special surgery which stopped them from having children.
Nokdo children like living there because it is quiet there and the air is clean. Sadly, they would like to have friends they could play with.
Difficult words: mainland (the country or continent without islands), aging (growing old), birth rate (the number of births which happen during a period of time in a place).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos