The Northern Lights – level 1
There are explosions on the sun. These explosions send particles into space. These particles move towards the earth.
The particles enter the atmosphere. They hit the air. When they hit the air, they make light. These lights are the Northern Lights.
You can see the Northern Lights in Scandinavia, Greenland, Alaska, Canada and Russia. Sometimes, you can see them in other places, too. People in Minnesota can see them.
Difficult words: particle (a very small piece of something), earth (our planet), atmosphere (all of the air around the Earth).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Have you ever seen the Northern Lights?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.