The oldest geisha – level 1
This news is about a girl. The girl is thirteen years old. She is from Japan. She watches a film about geishas. Thanks to the movie, she wants to be a geisha.
She learns. Three years later, she starts to work. The geisha works and works. She is ninety years old now. However, she still works.
The woman is proud of her age. She does not hide it.
The geisha sings and plays the shamisen. She does not dance. She is too old to dance. There are one thousand geishas in Japan. There were 80,000 geishas in Japan in 1928.
Difficult words: be proud of something (she likes her age), hide (to make something hard to see), shamisen (Japanese musical instrument), too (very).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Are you a teacher? Download the exercises for your class here. They are for free. You can copy them and use them in your class.
Who is the oldest working person you know?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.