The oldest geisha – level 2
This news is about a geisha. She is ninety years old, but she still works. She has up to 20 reservations a month. The woman says that she is proud of her age, and she doesn’t hide it.
When she was thirteen, she watched a film about geishas. She was influenced by it, and she wanted to become a geisha, too. She started working at the age of sixteen.
This geisha doesn’t dance anymore, but she will sing and play the shamisen until her last breath. There were 80,000 geishas in Japan in 1928. Now, only a thousand remain.
Difficult words: influence (to make somebody do something), shamisen (Japanese musical instrument), last breath (death), remain (stay).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Are you a teacher? Download the exercises for your class here. They are for free. You can copy them and use them in your class.
Who is the oldest working person you know?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.